Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
CBT is an evidence-based treatment that addresses the cognitive and behavioral elements of emotional problems.
The COGNITIVE element of CBT involves exploring excessively negative or unrealistic beliefs that contribute to intense anger, anxiety, and depression. CBT emphasizes authentic, rational, and practical ways of understanding ourselves, our relationships, and the future.
The BEHAVIORAL element of CBT focuses on increasing personally rewarding behaviors while decreasing activities that lead to emotional problems.
Behavior change can be difficult, so we’ll move at a comfortable pace for you. We’ll also think about the conditions at home, work, school or other environments that make it difficult to change.
Together we can evaluate how to replace destructive behavior with pleasurable and productive activities by addressing both the behavior itself and the natural environment.
CBT is not designed for you to take on the values of your therapist. Instead, the process is nonjudgmental and client-centered. Sessions are systematic and structured, but the work is collaborative, designed to help you make choices that prepare you for life satisfaction and fulfillment.
Components of CBT
- Emotional symptoms are addressed by targeting negative and unrealistic beliefs
- Increasing productive and healthy behavior is encouraged
- You take an active role in a collaborative therapeutic relationship
- Current causes of symptoms are prioritized and addressed
- Sessions are solution-focused and goal-directed
- Weekly “action plans” help you develop skills and learn to cope more effectively with current challenges
- Evaluation of treatment effectiveness is an ongoing process
I specialize in treating the following psychological problems:
- Generalized Anxiety
- Social Anxiety
- Panic Disorder
- Specific Phobia
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Major and Chronic Depression
I also provide for support for
- Chronic Stress
- Life Transitions
- Relationship Conflict
- Parenting Challenges
- Communication Problems
- Behavior Modification
To learn more about me and my practice, please click here. You can also visit my contact page to schedule a free 20-minute consultation.